Floyd continued to run on over the hill beyond the house and out of sight.  By 12:40pm almost an hour after
the shoot out at Silver Switch Floyd arrived about a quarter of a mile away  on the other side of the hill at
Peterson's garage where he spotted several young men standing there.  Floyd was out of breath, looking
rough and dirty.  Floyd had asked the young men who were at the garage that day for a ride to Youngstown,
Ohio and offered them $10.00 if they would drive him.  Floyd had told them a story about his car being broke
down in the hollow, and that he has been hunting a dog, and that he would appreciate it very much if they
would drive him. A couple of the boys started backing the car out of the garage when their mother called
them down and wanted to know what was going on.  She told the boys they couldn't go.

Floyd then ask one of the other young men there,  George MacMillen if he would help and handed him
$10.00.  Floyd and George got into George's car and left the garage.  They took off down Kountz Ave and
straight to Camp Ground Road, crossed the Y&O crossing avoiding the main highway they headed out the
back roads to  Youngstown.  While driving down the road Floyd asked George MacMillen, "I suppose you
know who I am"?.  George MacMillen didn't know, and Floyd told him that "the radios were flashing it all over
the country, and the papers are full of it".   Floyd then pulled up his coat and showed him one of his two guns
and also showed him the back of his shirt where he had said the Wellsville police had shot him although
there were no signs of blood.    They headed towards James H. Baum's who was a florist in Wellsville, Oh.  
Around 1pm at Mr. Baum's greenhouse is where George pulled the choke on the hill and told Floyd that his
car was out of gas.  The car drifted into a ditch.  Floyd got out and went up to Baum's green house  to get
some water as the car was overheating.  Floyd brought back a bucket of water and put it in the car and then
tried again.  Floyd then questioned George MacMillen about being a constable or detective or policeman?  
Floyd asked George MacMillen to go with him and not make any movement with his eyes or blow anything.  
They then went up and asked Mr Baum, "How about getting some gas, I will pay you for it" Floyd said.  Mr
Baum replied "I haven't any gas".   Floyd then wanted to know if he could drain some gas out of his car which
Mr Baum said that it wasn't possible with that type of car and besides I don't have a hose.  

Floyd asked Mr. Baum if he would drive him to a gas station along with George MacMillen.  They all got into
James Baum's car a 1929  Nash Sedan tan in color with Mr Baum driving when Floyd pulled out one of the
bigger (.45) of the two guns he was carrying and said "Old Man, I have a little surprise for you" and stuck it
between the 2 men and told Mr. Baum not to stop off at any roads or stop at any gas stations.  As they
traveled through the back roads past Bethel Church out to route 45 and down to an old farm, right where
Patterson's had their cottage and then on to West Point.   

Deputy Sheriff George Hayes had been notified about 1pm that Saturday what had occurred earlier that day
by the Fire Chief from Wellsville and that one of the men (Floyd) was headed this way. Sheriff Fultz had
recognized Floyd's picture from a book published by the W.J. Burns Company earlier that day after arresting
Adam.   Deputy Sheriff Hayes and Charley Patterson took the car out to the railroad tracks and blocked the
highway.  They had been there for about an hour or so when they noticed a  tan Nash  coming down the hill
and turn into the Mill.  They had noticed 2 men in the front and thought they saw a head bob up and down in
the back.  They became immediately suspicious as the mill was closed.    Once the car pulled back out onto
the road they gave chase however there were several cars between them and the tan Nash.  The Deputies
were able to get around the other cars and followed the big tan Nash on a road called the Roller Coaster.  At
this point in time Floyd and the two men in the front seat realized that someone was following them as they
past the bridge.  Floyd wanted the car behind them to drive on past and wanted Baum to drive on but Baum
looked around and said "There's the police". They had been traveling as fast as they could when Floyd shot
out the back window of the Nash firing into the car Deputy Sheriff George Hayes was driving.  The shot went
thru the middle of the windshield right between Deputy Hayes and Charlie Patterson.    As soon as the shot
rang out Mr. Baum brought the Nash to a dead stop about 50 yards in front of the Deputy's car.   James
Baum did not recall how many shots were fired but did find 2 spent shell casings in the back seat of his

At approximately 3:30pm, Deputy Hayes jumped out on the left side and Charley Patterson on the right.  
Deputy Hayes called to the driver to come back with his hands up.   At that time George MacMillen got out on
the right.  Both men ran around in front of the car and then into the woods and then came out again.  Deputy
Hayes then told them to come back with their hands up but neither men did.  Floyd who had been sitting in
the back of the car then jumped out on the right and ran around in front of the car crouching down and using
the two men for a shield.  George MacMillen came around the right side of the car back towards the Deputy
and was told to put his hands up but he didn't.   Baum tried to get the Deputy's attention by telling him that
"You know me" and was then shot in the left thigh by Officer Patterson.   At that time the Deputy Hayes
handcuffed MacMillen and did recognize Baum.  Charley Patterson then ordered them into the car.  Floyd
taking advantage of the situation then ran across the road, thru a small clearing and into the woods and thick

Deputy Hayes positioned Charley Patterson in the field near the road and went for help.  He brought back
additional men for the search, Dave McCreary and Cappy Lewis along with Foster Shattuck.  They
canvassed all the back roads again warning the farmers thereabouts to put their cars away and lock them
up. Later that Saturday a woman by the name of Taylor had spotted a man with a pin stripe suit and no hat
running up the right of way near the bridge on the roller coaster not far from the strip mine close to where
she lived.   Deputy Hayes and the men  worked until dark canvassing the country side.

Once again on Sunday October 21st, early morning Deputy Hayes and Charlie Patterson and many more
men were now out covering the roads between counties between Youngstown, route 7 and 164 along with
Deer Park Road until darkness set in.  There were no reported sightings of Floyd that Sunday.

Later that Monday,  about 1pm Agents R.G. McCallum, C.F. Risler, and D. DiLillo where patrolling the area
north of East Liverpool, Ohio.  They stopped by Robert Robison a farmer whose farm was located a few miles
west of Calcutta, Ohio.  Robert Robison was shown a photograph of Floyd and immediately identified him as
the man he had furnished food to at his farmhouse about about 12:30 that same day.  Mr Robison had
stated that the picture was a perfect likeness of the man who had eaten at his house.  Robert said the man
was dressed in a navy blue suit and was not wearing a hat.  Floyd had asked him to drive him to Younstown,
Ohio and was willing to pay for the transportation.  Robert Robison refused and Floyd left on foot.  Special
Agent Risler immediately communicated this information to SAC Melvin Purvis at the Travelers Hotel in East
Liverpool advising him that Robison's far was near the Bell Schoolhouse about 4 miles north of East
Liverpool and located on a country road a short distance east of route 7.  

Immediately a squad of Agents composed of Special Agents Reynolds, O'Hare, and Rose was reached by
phone and instructed to proceed to the Bell Schoolhouse area.  Another squad of SAC Puvis and Agents D.
E. Hall and S.K. McKee, left there temporary headquarters at the Travelers Hotel and headed to the Bell
Schoolhouse area.

Once SAC Purvis's squad reached the Bell Schoolhouse the
y called the Chief of Police at Youngstown and
furnished him the description of Floyd and requested that squad cars be dispatched in that direction.    SAC
Purvis also called Special Agent H.E. Hollis at the Travelers Hotel and requested him to get in touch with the
Chief of Police at   East Liverpool requesting additional assistance.  

Around 2:30pm that Monday afternoon, Chief McDermott received a call from the SAC Melvin Purvis and by 2:
45, Herman Roth, Chester Smith and Glen (Curly) Montgomery left the office.  They headed up Walnut Street
and out St. Clair into Calcutta to meet up with the Federal men that called.  They went out route 7 to the
White House Filling Station where they were to meet up. The Federal men had left there 2 minutes earlier
and a couple of men at the filling station directed the Sheriff down the road to a car that had Michigan license
plates on it.  The Sheriff and his car full of Deputies headed down the road to the intersection of Clarkson
road.  At approximately 3:00pm  they met
up with the 4 Federal men,  Melvin Purvis, Special Agents D. E.
Hall, W. E. Hopton, and S. K. McKee  on route 7 on the far side of Williamsport, just beyond Brookside Park.

It was there that Melvin Purvis came up to the Sheriff's car and introduced himself.  Melvin Purvis then told
the Sheriff that Charles "Pretty Boy" Floyd had approached somebody along the Bell School House to try to
get  them to take him to Youngstown.  They thought he had come out on route 7 from the Bell School House
or across country; that he had continued out the road from the Bell School House towards Youngstown or
crossed through the country.  It was Melvin Purvis's idea to head him off on the other side.  Melvin Purvis
then inquired about how to get back into the Bell School House from where they were.  Melvin Purvis then
told the Sheriff that he had one car patroling out there where we were and a bunch of men working back at
the Bell School House.  The Federal men needed help in finding there way and the Sheriff offered to show
them the way.

Both vehicles then proceeded through Clarkson and had turned right at the forks in the road.  They stopped
at several different places to inquire from house to house. They had gone down Echo Dell to the Levi
Hickman farm and inquired if he had seen anything strange.  It was there the Mr. Hickman stated that
Constable Birch had been there shortly before and stated that Floyd had been seen down around the Bell
School House and may have crossed over towards the William Stoffer farm.  Mr Hickman then suggested a
set of directions that Sheriff McDermott decided against and told Melvis Purvis that there was a better way.

While stopping at the Anderson's residence, Jim Anderson was out in the field plowing. Glen (Curly)
Montgomery and Melvin Purvis walked out to him and spoke with him in the field.  Jim Anderson said that he
had seen a fellow passing without a hat, in a dark suit around 1:30pm walking towards Sprucevale Rd but he
was too far away to give any type of description outside of that.    They continued down the Sprucevale road
toward  the Conkle farm.  

It was around 2:50pm when Floyd managed to get to Mrs. Ellen Conkle's farm.  Floyd had asked Mrs. Conkle
if she would give him something to eat and had said that he was hungry and lost, and that he and his brother
had been out hunting and he had got lost from his brother.  Mrs Conkle asked Floyd what he had been
hunting and Floyd replied "squirrels or just anything we could find".   Mrs Conkle keeping Floyd engaged in
conversations told him that he surely wouldn't be hunting squirrels after night.  "To be honest I have been out
drinking and had got too much to drink"  Floyd replied.  It was at that moment Ellen Conkle knew the man was
lying and became afraid of him.  Mrs Conkle then fixed him what he had asked for "meat".  He was hungry for
meal mainly consisting of meat.  Floyd then thanked Mrs Conkle for lunch and said that it was "fit for a king".  
Floyd then remarked: "I look like a wild man" and "I feel just that way".  Mrs Conkle just smiled but did not
reply.    Floyd then offered Mrs Conkle a dollar which she tried to refuse.  By this time Floyd had been in the
kitchen for nearly an hour, it was now approximately 3:50.   Floyd then inquired of Mrs Conkle about taking
him to Youngstown.  She had told him that she couldn't take him and if he waited here until about 4pm she
would see that he got to route 7.   Floyd then asked Mrs Conkle for a newspaper and said that he wanted to
see the news and also needed some matches.  Floyd then remarked to Mrs. Conkle:  "I will go down to the
car and wait". and he proceeded to wait in her brother Stewart Dyke's car.

Ellen Conkle's brother Stewart Dyke had been husking corn with his wife.  Around 4pm he had walked up to
the car Floyd had been sitting in.  Floyd had the keys and was trying to start the car and didn't notice Stewart
approach.  Once Floyd noticed Stewart he replied "Hello there" and  Stewart responded in kind.  Floyd then
explained to Stewart that "your sister said you would take me to the bus line".  Both men argued about the
arrangements for a ride.  Floyd was insistent on a ride to route 7 or to Youngstown and Stewart Dyke
continued to refuse.  Mrs Dyke then approached the car and removed the keys.  Mr and Mrs Dyke then
walked up to the house and asked Ellen Conkle if she had seen the man in his car. After a brief conversation
Stewart walked back to the car but by then Floyd had walked down to the end of the driveway near the road.

At approximately 4:07 Chief of Police H.J. McDermott, Chester Smith, Herman Roth and  Glenn (Curly)
Montgomery of the East Liverpool Police Department were driving south along Sprucevale road with Melvin
Purvis's car about a city block behind them.  Approaching the Conkle farm  Glen (Curly) Montgomery  noticed
a man resembling Floyd's description dressed in a suit with no hat standing  near the road. When Floyd saw
the officer's car coming down the road Floyd returned to Stewart's automobile. Glen Montgomery  hollered to
the Chief to stop and told him that he saw a man resembling Floyd go behind the corn crib.  He saw Floyd  
near a couple of women (Ellen Conkle and her sister in law).   Stewart told his wife to get into the back seat
and then walked around to the front.of the car.  Floyd got into the car and just sat there.  Stewart knew
something was about to happen. The law men had jumped out of the car and Purvis's men  that were
following about a block away drove up and stopped the car blocking the driveway. The 4 lawmen  hollered to
the Federal men that Floyd was in back of the corn crib.  The lawmen were armed with 2 shotguns, 2
machine guns and revolvers.  It was then that Stewart Dyke saw the 8 officers, 6 without uniforms and 2 with

Stewart began backing up the car in the driveway when Floyd saw the officers standing across the lane.  
Floyd ducked down beside Dyke and said "Drive behind that building, they are looking for me" while at the
same time pulling his gun out.   Stewart pulled forward to where they had originally started from and reached
over and unlatched the door on Floyd's side and told Floyd "Get out, you son of a bitch".  Floyd obliged

The officers had seen him get into the car and then get out with a gun in his hand.  Floyd started around one
end of the corn crib and the Federal men  hollered for him to "come out!"  Floyd then peered around the
corn crib and saw two men in uniform and ran back and forth a few times as if trying to make up his mind
which end of the corn crib to come around first.  During that brief moment in time Melvin Purvis called to
Floyd, "Floyd, come to the road.  If you don't we will shoot."  But no sooner than Melvin Purvis started to call
out to Floyd he started to run.    The officers hollered once again for Floyd to "halt put your hands up" but
Floyd kept running keeping the corn crib and a small garage between him and lawmen.  When he came
around the garage into the open the order to fire was given by both the Federal men and Chief McDermott
"Let him have it".  As the lawmen gave chase on foot all 8 lawmen began firing at the same instant while
continuing to run after Floyd.  Melvin Purvis fired six shots from his .38 special.   As Floyd ran he threw his
left hand up into the air as if he may have been hit in the arm and  kind of cut sideways.  As Floyd ran he
turned from side to side, in a zig zag fashion almost at times running sideways as an apparent effort to dodge
the oncoming bullets.  Looking back over his shoulder  he continued his race thru the field to the top of the
hill and the trees beyond.

About 50 yards from the corn crib Floyd fell on his back in the center of the clover field at approximately 4:
10pm.  He tried to turn on his right side and attempted to sit up just as the officers arrived. One of the
Federal men hollered at Floyd "Stick your hands up!"  Floyd laid on his left side and stuck his left hand up
but held his right hand across his chest.    Chester Smith had been the closest one to Floyd.  He grabbed
Floyd's right wrist and began to remove the cocked .45 automatic Floyd held in his hand.  At that instant
Floyd began to reach for the .45 with his right hand he had in back on his right side  .   Glen Montgomery
closed in on Floyd at that time and grabbed his left hand and held his head down while Herman Roth
removed the second .45 from his belt.  Herman Roth then held Floyd down so he couldn't get up.  Handcuffs
were then immediately placed on Floyd.

Floyd asked "Where's Ad" and when Glenn Montgomery replied "Ad who" and couldn't tell him Floyd replied
"Oh Hell", very defiantly. When Chief McDermott got to where Floyd laid, Floyd said "Who the hell tipped you
off", "Where's Eddy", Chief McDermott then asked Floyd: "How bad are you hurt", and Floyd replied "You've
got me twice".   It was then one of the Federal men asked "Your name's Floyd?"  He waited for a reply and
then repeated the question to Floyd again.  Floyd grinned and said "I am Floyd".  It was then that Chief
McDermott  instructed Melvin Purvis to go for help.  Melvin Purvis  accompanied by Agent D.E.Hall and
Stewart Dyke immediately went to Clarksburg  in order to get to a phone and an ambulance.  

Special Agent S.K. McKee then questioned Floyd about the Union Station massacre.  Floyd's reply was "To
hell with the Union Station".  Agent McKee then told Floyd that he was dying and Floyd replied "I know I'm
through." Agent McKee then asked Floyd to do the decent thing and tell what he knew about the massacre.  
Floyd did not reply.   Agent McKee then asked him if it was not true that he, Adam Richetti, and Verne Miller
had done the shooting at  Union Station.  Floyd replied "I ain't telling you nothing ----you---""   Floyd was
defiant with his answer.  Floyd then lapsed into semi-consciousness. A few moments later he was heard to
say "---you", paused and then said "I'm going".      At approximately 4:25pm that afternoon Floyd died right
where he laid.  He had lived about 15 minutes after falling in the clover field.

At that time Chief McDermott then instructed Herman Roth, Chester Smith and Curly Montgomery who had
been watching over Floyd to carry him from the field and place him on a grassy spot under a tree near the
road to await the arrival of the ambulance.   Floyd's body was searched.  In his possession was $122.00,
twelve $10.00 bills and two $1.00 bills.  There was also some loose change a loaded clip for a .45, a Gruen
pocket watch and chain with a silver half dollar attached and a cameo ring of which were returned to Floyd's
mother with a signed receipt.   Floyds 7th and 10th fingers had been sand-papered smooth.  

While at the Sturgis Funeral home the autopsy was performed by Doctor Roy C. Costello and Dr Edward W.
Miskall with Coroner E.R. Sturgis in attendance.  
Charles "Pretty Boy" Floyd
The Last Run
Floyd Posse
Floyd's Thompson Machinegun The serial number had been filed off.
Floyd's 2 45s                                           
45 auto modified Serial # C84197
45 long clip Serial # 18001
Chester Smith taking finger prints at the
Sturgis Funeral Home
Floyd death certificate
Crowds at Sturgis Funeral Home and at Floyds Funeral
Adam and Charles wore
identical cameo rings,
Floyd's ring was returned
to his mother, Adam's
ring was returned to his
sister Minnie, she passed
the ring on to my father
and he to me.
Charles Arthur Floyd b:  Feb 3, 1904 d:  Oct 22, 1934
Charles Arthur "Pretty Boy" Floyd, wife Ruby,
and son Jack Dempsy Floyd
Funeral services for Charles Dempsey FLOYD,  74, of Vacaville, Calif., were held at 2 p.m. Tuesday at
Vaca Hills Chapel in Vacaville.  Burial was in Vacaville, under the direction of Vaca Hills Chapel.  Mr.
FLOYD was born Dec. 29, 1924, in Bald Hill, to the late Charles Arthur and Ruby (HARDGRAVES)
FLOYD.  He died Tuesday, March 23, 1999, in Vallejo, Calif.  Survivors include his wife, Patricia Floyd of
the home; one daughter, Sheri; one son, David; and nine grandchildren
Ruby Floyd Hardgraves Kirkwood
b. Feb 6, 1907 - d. 29 July 1970:
Bixby Cemetery
Tulsa County